Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Imposter Syndrome

    After taking the Imposter Phenomenon Rating Scale test, I scored in the "moderate IP experiences" category. I feel that this is pretty accurate because it does not seem like imposter syndrome affects me daily, but it does come up sometimes in my life. At this point in my career, I can see imposter syndrome possibly becoming more of a problem, since I am about to start Level II Fieldwork. It could be easy to fall into a mindset of seeing myself as an imposter once I develop my own caseload and start planning my own treatment sessions. But, I plan to utilize what we have learned about ways to combat imposter syndrome so that I do not develop thoughts about if I am competent enough or not.
    
    Firstly, I plan to do a lot of self-reflection and preparation during this next week prior to starting Level II Fieldwork. By assessing myself and studying up on common diagnoses/treatments/etc. that I may see in my setting, I will feel better prepared and be more confident coming into my first day. And if I don't feel confident, I'll fake it until I make it. I will remind myself of how hard I worked to make it to this point in my life and career. By reminding myself of all that I have accomplished to get here, my negative and untrue thoughts stemming from imposter syndrome will fade. I have also started trying to expand my network and stay in touch with OTs I have been on fieldwork with, met at the job fair, etc. This will not only aid in my search for a job as a new grad but also for mentorship once I do get a job. 

    It is important to realize that imposter syndrome is normal and happens to everyone. By remembering this, we will feel more confident in ourselves even when these thoughts do creep into our minds. We belong here, and we will do amazing on Level II Fieldwork. No imposters here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Imposter Syndrome

    After taking the Imposter Phenomenon Rating Scale test, I scored in the "moderate IP experiences" category. I feel that this i...